Boy dies inside family vehicle

By Terri Simon -
PRINCETON — Five-year-old Logan Jacobs of Princeton was pronounced dead at 6:05 p.m. Sunday at Perry Memorial Hospital in Princeton.

According to Bureau County Coroner Janice Wamhoff, Logan had asked his father if he could play with his tablet (electronic device). His father said it was fine. Wamhoff said his father was working on some household chores and assumed his son was in his room playing on the tablet. A 10-year-old sister and two other girls were also at the home.

Wamhoff said the boy was found in the father's vehicle which was parked in front of the home about two hours later. The windows were up, and the vehicle was locked. The tablet was plugged into the charger in the vehicle. Wamhoff was told the child was known to fall asleep easily.

He was taken to Perry Memorial Hospital by Princeton Ambulance, where he was pronounced dead. An autopsy was performed Monday; results are pending. The death is under investigation by the coroner's office and the Princeton Police Department. An inquest may be scheduled.

Logan was a kindergarten student at Jefferson Elementary School in Princeton. On Tuesday, the Princeton Elementary School District's Crisis Intervention Team was at the school to work with students and staff. They will remain on site throughout the week. Part of the team is made up of the Bureau Marshall Putnam Special Education Cooperative.

"It's a very sad day in the district. We are attached to everyone of our kids," said Princeton Elementary School District Superintendent Tim Smith. "Our hearts, prayers and love go out to Logan's family."

Princeton Boy Dies In Hot Car

Last Updated on May 27th, 2014

Written by Paul Bomleny

A Princeton boy is dead, in what Bureau County Coroner Janice Wamhoff is calling a heat-related death. She says 5 year old Logan Jacobs was pronounced dead Sunday evening just after 6. Logan is the son of Michael Jacobs of Princeton and Melony Jacobs of Walnut. He and his sister Alexis were staying at his dad’s place in Princeton for the weekend. After dinner Sunday, Logan asked if he could go play with his tablet. His dad thought Logan had gone upstairs, but he had actually gone to the car to charge the tablet. Two hours later, the boy’s dad and sister went looking for Logan. They found him inside the car, where Wamhoff says it was over 120 degrees. Logan was taken to Perry Memorial Hospital in Princeton and pronounced dead at 6:05 pm. Arrangements for Logan Jacobs are through Garland Funeral Home in Walnut.