UPDATE: Baby Found Dead in Vehicle on Patuxent River Naval Air Station

UPDATE 6/3/2014 @ 6:00 p.m.:
At around 3:30 p.m. today, a male infant was discovered unresponsive in the back of a vehicle.

911 was called upon discovery and NAS Pax River fire and emergency services responded and immediately took over CPR.

The infant was pronounced deceased at 4:15 p.m. by EMS personnel.

Fleet and Family Support Center counselors and the installation chaplain are on scene.

The incident is under investigation by NCIS.

More information will be released as it becomes available.

6/3/2014 @ 5:22 p.m. – On Wednesday, September 3, 2014 at approximately 3:40 p.m. a 15-month–old baby was found in a vehicle, unresponsive at building 2187 on the Patuxent River Naval Air Station, in St. Mary’s County.

First responders arrived and pronounced the baby dead at the scene.

According to an individual close to the investigation, they believe the baby had been in the car for the entire day.

SMNEWSNET contacted the Public Affairs Office at the Patuxent River Naval Air Station, who stated they were getting a press release together.

Father Charged in Death of Toddler Found Inside Car at Naval Air Station Patuxent River

The father of a toddler who died inside a parked car at a Maryland naval base has been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

The 17-month-old boy was found unresponsive in a car parked at Naval Air Station (NAS) Patuxent River in Maryland around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, according to a news release.

First responders attempted CPR, but the little boy was pronounced dead at 4:15 p.m.

His father, John Junek, will be in federal court in Greenbelt in connection with the case.

Junek, who works on the base, left the little boy in the car, said an NCIS spokesperson.

According to charging documents, Junek told authorities that he dropped his four-year-old son at preschool and then was supposed to drop off the toddler at the Child Development Center at NAS Patuxent River.

Instead, Junek said he drove to NAS Patuxent River, entered the base and drove directly to his office, leaving the toddler in a rear-facing car seat when he parked at 8:50 a.m.

Junek told authorities he got a call from his wife at about 3:20 p.m. She asked if he had their son's car seat with him. He wasn't sure at first, and then realized he might not have dropped off the boy at the child center. He went to the car and found the boy still in his car seat.

He called 911 and then tried to perform CPR on the boy until first responders arrived.

The boy's death is under investigation by NCIS.