Milledgeville infant dies after being left in car

A 6-month-old Milledgeville boy died Tuesday, eight days after being left in a hot car outside a home.

Milledgeville police say Cyrus Gray was pronounced dead just after 11 a.m. at the Medical Center-Navicent Health in Macon.

They say they're still investigating how and why the boy was left in the car. They have not reported any arrests in the case.

According to the police news release, the boy was found inside the car around 2:30 p.m. on Aug. 28, outside a home on the 2400 block of Brantley Way. Officers responded to a medical call from the block.

The boy was taken first to Oconee Regional Medical Center and stablized, then to Navicent Health.

Police have not released the names of any adults connected to the case or further details on why the child was left in the car.

The boy's body will be sent to a GBI crime lab for an autopsy.

Milledgeville police probing death of baby
Infant reportedly left unattended in a vehicle for several hours

MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. — A 6-month-old infant reportedly left unattended in a vehicle outside a residence in Milledgeville Aug. 28 for several hours has died.

The child, identified as Cyrus Gray, was pronounced dead at 11:06 a.m. Tuesday at Navicent Health in Macon, according to Milledgeville Police Department Criminal Investigations Division Commander Maj. Michael Hudson in a press release Wednesday afternoon.

An autopsy will be performed sometime this week at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Crime Laboratory in Macon to determine the exact cause of the baby’s death.

“The death derives from an incident occurring Aug. 28 involving an infant being left in a vehicle at a Brantley Way residence,” Hudson said.

Police are continuing their investigation into exactly what happened.

On the day of the incident, Officer David Descoteaux went to the residence on the 2400 block of Brantley Way about 2:30 p.m. regarding a medical call they received from someone at the residence.

When officers got to the residence, they discovered that the child had been left unattended in a vehicle.

During the course of the investigation thus far, police have learned that the baby was left in the vehicle for more than five hours.

Hudson said in the press release that the baby was immediately taken to the emergency room of Oconee Regional. Medical Center in Milledgeville where he was stabilized before later being transferred to Navicent Health.