Phoenix mom arrested after 3-year-old girl found dead inside car

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) -- Phoenix police have arrested the mother of a 3-year-old girl who was found dead in a car Sunday afternoon.

According to Sgt. Mercedes Fortune, officers responded to a home near 35th Avenue and Thunderbird Road at about 4:30 p.m. Sunday for a report of a missing child.

Police spoke with the mother, 23-year-old Tianna Jones, who told police she was unable to find her keys as they began to search the area for the girl. When police searched her Jones' car, they found the child inside and unresponsive. She was transported to the hospital where she was later pronounced dead.

Jones told police she was out drinking and using drugs the night before and had picked her daughter up around 10:30 a.m. that morning from her mother's home. Both of them were seen on the apartment complex's cameras, according to court records, when they had arrived. They went into the apartment where they had a snack before both of them went to take a nap.

According to police, Jones said she had fallen asleep for about three hours when her daughter walked out of the home and made her way to the car and got inside where she was later found by police.

Police arrested Jones on child abuse charges. The cause of death will be determined by the medical examiner. The investigation is ongoing.

Phoenix girl, 3, dies after police find her in hot car; mother arrested

PHOENIX (KNXV) -- Phoenix Police say a child reported missing died after being found inside a parked car Sunday.

Officers were called to a home near Interstate 17 and Thunderbird Road around 4:30 p.m. Sunday where 23-year-old Tianna Jones reported her daughter missing. They found the child, 3-year-old Delilah Jones, unresponsive in the driver's seat of Jones's vehicle. The child was pronounced dead at the hospital.

The cause of death is under investigation, but the National Weather Service recorded Phoenix's high temperature at 103 degrees on Sunday.

According to court documents, Jones admitted to partying the night before, drinking alcohol, and using cocaine. Jones told police she and daughter Delilah went inside at 10:30 a.m. to take a nap. According to surveillance video, Delilah left the apartment at 11:52 a.m. and got into her mom's car at 12:03 p.m. Jones didn't leave her apartment looking for Delilah until 4:10 p.m. and it wasn't until 4:30 p.m. when Jones called police.

Police paperwork also showed that the Department of Child Services had been involved before and removed the child due to neglect. Jones was arrested and booked into jail on a child abuse charge.

[ Return to ]

“Any time there’s a loss of a child, it’s just a very tragic event no matter if it’s by natural means or by accident or by some other means,” he said.