UPDATE: Twin Falls Police investigate death of baby left in car

TWIN FALLS — Police say they are investigating the death of a 10-month-old girl left for hours in a car on a hot day.

Lt. Terry Thueson with the Twin Falls Police Department confirmed Monday morning that the infant died Friday. Just before midnight, Twin Falls Police responded to the 500 block of Highland Avenue for a call about a baby not breathing. Officers found the 10-month-old was unresponsive.

Paramedics took the baby to St. Luke’s Magic Valley Medical Center for treatment; however, lifesaving measures were unsuccessful.

"Officers learned the baby had been left unattended inside a parked vehicle for several hours during the afternoon and evening hours," a police statement said Monday afternoon.

Police did not release the names of the baby or the parents. Don Patterson of Twin Falls told the Times-News on Monday that the girl was his granddaughter and said she had been left in a car strapped into her car seat Friday evening. Patterson said his granddaughter died that night.

No one has been arrested.

“These types of investigations can take time and the Twin Falls Police Department is committed to conducting a thorough and complete investigation," Thueson said in the statement.

Coroner Gene Turley said his office sent the baby's body to Boise for an autopsy.

Late Monday, Twin Falls County Prosecuting Attorney Grant Loebs said he was still awaiting autopsy results. Depending on the results, he said, investigators could request additional tests.

Complete autopsy results could take up to a month, Thueson said.

“It simply is not safe to leave an unattended child in a vehicle anytime," Police Chief Craig Kingsbury said in the statement. "This becomes especially true during warm temperatures. The interior temperature of a vehicle increases rapidly and this can become deadly for children and even pets. Please do not ever leave children unattended in a car."

The high temperature recorded at the Twin Falls airport was 81 degrees on Friday, but temperatures around town reached into the mid-80s, KMVT Chief Meteorologist Brian Neudorff said.

"Peak high typically takes place between 5 and 6 o'clock," he said.