Infant dies after being left in truck in East Nashville

A 1-year-old girl died after being left in a truck outside of an East Nashville home on Tuesday evening, according to the Metro Nashville Police Department.

The infant was found by her adoptive mother in a car seat in the family's pickup truck, which was parked outside their home on Virginia Avenue.

The child was pronounced dead when arriving at Vanderbilt Hospital.

The adoptive father "forgot about the child" after dropping off the girl's sibling at day care earlier in the day, according to police. It is unclear how long the infant stayed inside the car.

Authorities have not identified the child or parents, and an investigation is ongoing.

No charges filed after 1-year-old dies in hot truck in East Nashville

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) - Metro Nashville Police say no charges are currently being filed after a 1-year-old girl died after being left in a hot truck all day Wednesday in East Nashville.

The girl has been identified as Katera Barker. Police say the girl's adoptive father left her in the truck "unintentionally."

Police say the father left the family's Virginia Avenue home at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday to take Katera and another 5-year-old child to a day care along Chapel Avenue. He got home at about 8 a.m. and left minutes later via a ride share, heading for the airport.

He then flew out on a business trip while his wife, Katera's adoptive mother, left for work in her vehicle.

That evening, the mother went to day care to pick up the kids, but was told Katera was never dropped off. She called her husband and "came to the realization that Katera was still in the pickup truck."

She called 911 at 5:42 p.m. as she pulled into her driveway, police said. She took Katera out of the car seat and began CPR until medics arrived.

Katera was transported to Vanderbilt's children's hospital where she was pronounced dead on arrival. The adoptive father flew back into Nashville Wednesday night. Police said he and his wife have been fully cooperative with the investigation.

The District Attorney's Office is aware of the case and is following detectives' work in the investigation.